I embarked on the great parenting adventure that is potty training now that H is 22 months. It was all her she came back from nursery talking how her and her friends all did a poo in the potty. We have had potties in our house for 6 months. She sits on it every morning and just before bath time. She’s only done wees, so imagine my surprise 24th January hearing about her new adventure. So I then decided I might as well let her lead…
Started researching from the 25th January, I looked into classes, could not make the classes. So decided to research online, buy a book and talk to friends. They all told me similar things to do and not to. So I decided to put togther a tool kit for others.
- Patience – Not one of my strong points, as H had been showing some signs of readiness and it seemed like the right time.
- Equip yourself with a lot of spare pants, 2 home potty- upstairs, downstairs and travel potty.
- Toddler-sized toilet seat adaptor – H loves hers.
- Be consistent – once you start there is no going back
- I used incentives like chocolate buttons, fingers & iPad ( not for everyone, it worked for me)
- Toddler pants featuring H favourite disney character
- Toddler toilet wipes Preferably flushable ones, as this can be a messy old business…
- A sticker chart next to the loo to motivate your toddler. When the chart’s full, H gets a lovely treat – so far she’s had baking session with mummy, a doll and a her face painted.
I confess, I almost gave up on the 3rd day. The 1st day was a breeze, second day we had 2 wee accidents while playing. The 3rd day almost broke me, it was one wee accident after another, poo was done in the loo. She got claps, a song and 2 chocolate buttons then it was down hill. I Seriously started to question whether I had misjudged her readiness in a fit of blinkered mother love. 4th day one accident just before lunch. 5th day no accident, 6th and 7th day 2 small accidents. We have good and ok days. Am going to stick with it, it’s definitely been character building for me. A month on and we still have accidents, I use pull ups at night and for day outs.